Cultivation of GREEN GRAM: Complete guide on GREEN GRAM farming involves in seed treatment, planting, pest management, irrigation, harvesting and uses.
Scientific name of GREEN GRAM(Vigna radiata):
The mung bean (Vigna radiata), alternatively known as the moong bean, green gram, but not mungo or mingo, is a plant species in the legume family. Native to the Indian subcontinent, the mung bean is mainly cultivated today in India, China, and Southeast Asia. It is also cultivated in hot, dry regions in Southern Europe and the Southern United States. It is used as an ingredient in both savory and sweet dishes.These are usually eaten for breakfast. This provides high quality protein that is rare in most Indian regional cuisines.
1. FIELD PREPARATION:
- Prepare the land to get fine tilth and form beds and channels.
- Amendments for soil surface crusting: To tide over the soil surface crusting apply lime at the rate of 2 t/ha along with FYM at 12.5 t/ha or composted coir pith at 12.5 t/ha to get an additional yield of about 15 – 20%.
2. SEED TREATMENT:
Treat the seeds with Carbendazim or Thiram @ 2 g/kg of seed 24 hours before sowing (or) with talc formulation of Trichoderma viride @ 4g/kg of seed (or) Pseudomonas fluorescens @ 10 g/kg seed. Bio control agents are compatible with biofertilizers. First treat the seeds with Biocontrol agents and then with Rhizobium. Fungicides and biocontrol agents are incompatible.
3. SEED TREATMENT WITH BIOFERTILIZER:
Treat the seeds with one packet (200 g/ha) of Rhizobial culture CRM 6 and one packet (200 g/ha) of Phosphobacteria one packet (200 g/ha) of PGPR developed at TNAU using rice kanji as binder. If the seed treatment is not carried out apply 10 packets (2 kg) of Phosphobacteria and 10 packets (2 kg) of PGPR with 25 kg of FYM and 25 kg of soil before sowing.
4. FERTILIZER APPLICATION:
- Apply fertilizers basally before sowing.
Rainfed : 12.5 kg N + 25 kg P2O5 + 12.5 kg K2O +10 kg S*/ha
Irrigated : 25 kg N + 50 kg P2O5 + 25 kg K2O + 20 kg S*/ha
*Note : Applied in the form of gypsum if Single Super Phospate is not applied as a source of phosphorus
- Soil application of 25 kg ZnSo4/ha under irrigated condition
- Soil application of 25 kg ZnSo4/ha under irrigated condition
- Soil application of TNAU micronutrient mixture @ 5 kg/ha as Enriched FYM (Prepare enriched FYM at 1:10 ratio of MN mixture & FYM ; mix at friable moisture &incubate for one month in shade).
Multi-blooming technology for irrigated green gram in new delta region of Thanjavur:
For higher yield and income, apply 25:50:25:20 kg NPKS/ha.+25 kg N/ha. in 3 equal splits on 30, 45 and 60 days after sowing + 2% DAP spray on 45 and 60 days after sowing.
Foliar spray of 1% urea for yield improvement in green gram:
For yield improvement through increasing the physiological, biochemical attributes, foliar spray of urea 1% on 30 and 45 days after sowing is recommended. For rice fallow pulses in Delta area, the present recommendation of foliar spray of 2% DAP may be continued.
Economizing the use of micronutrients through seed treatment for greengram:
Seed coating with biofertilizers and micronutrients viz., Zn, Mo & Co @ 4,1,0.5 g/kg of seed is recommended.
Dibble the seeds adopting a spacing of 30 x 10 cm. For bund crop dibble the seeds at 30 cm spacing.
6. WATER MANAGEMENT:
Irrigate immediately after sowing, followed by life irrigation on the third day. Irrigate at intervals of 7to 10 days depending upon soil and climatic conditions. Flowering and pod formation stages are critical periods when irrigation is a must. Avoid water stagnation at all stages. . Apply KCl at 0.5 per cent as foliar spray during vegetative stage if there is moisture stress.
7. SPRAYING OF DIAMMONIUM PHOSPHATE OR UREA, NAA AND SALICYLIC ACID:
a. Foliar spray of Spray of NAA 40 mg/litre and Salicylic acid 100 mg/litre once at pre-flowering and another at 15 days thereafter
b. i) For rice fallow crops, foliar spray of DAP 20 g/litre once at flowering and another at 15 days
ii) For irrigated and rainfed crops foliar spray of DAP 20 g/litre or urea 20 g/litres once at flowering and another at 15 days thereafter.
8. WEED MANAGEMENT:
- Pre emergence application of Pendimethalin @ 3.3 litres per hectare under irrigated condition or 2.5 litres per hectare under rainfed condition on 3 days after sowing using Backpack/ Knapsack/Rocker sprayer fitted with flat fan nozzle using 500 litres of water for spraying one ha. After this, one hand weeding on 30th days after sowing gives weed free environment throughout the crop period (or) EPOE application of quizalofop ethyl @ 50 g ai/ha-1 and imazethapyr @ 50 g ai ha-1 on 15 – 20 DAS.
- If herbicide is not applied give two hand weedings on 15 and 30 days after sowing.
9. MULTI BLOOM TECHNOLOGY:
A special technology being practiced in Pattukottai block of Tanjore district for blackgram and greengram. The soil is alluvial and rich in organic matter and nutrients. The crop is sown during early summer (Jan.-Feb.) as normal crop and fertilizer is applied as per the recommendation for irrigated crop. In addition to that, top dressing of Nitrogen is done with an extra dose of 25 to 30 kg through urea. Since pulses are indeterminate growth habit and continue to produced new flushes, the top dressing will be done on 40-45 days after sowing. The crop complete its first flushes of matured pods during 60-65th day and put further second new flush within 20-25 days. Therefore two flushes of pods can be harvested at a time within the duration of 100 days.
1.TIME OF SOWING:
Third week of January –Second week of February
2.SOWING OF SEEDS:
- For relay cropping broadcast the seeds in the standing crop 5 to 10 days before the harvest of the paddy crop uniformly under optimum soil moisture conditions so that the seeds should get embedded in the waxy mire.
- For combined harvesting areas, broadcast the seeds before harvesting the paddy crop with machineries
3. SPRAYING OF DIAMMONIUM PHOSPHATE , NAA AND SALICYLIC ACID:
- Foliar spray of NAA 40 mg/litre and Salicylic acid 100 mg/litre once at pre-flowering and another at 15 days thereafter
- Foliar spray of pulse wonder @ 5 kg/ha once at flowering or DAP 20 g/lt once at flowering and another at 15 days thereafter
- Picking the matured pods, drying and processing
- Uprooting or cutting the whole plants ,heaping ,drying and processing.
- Pests of Green gram
- Diseases of Green gram
11609 total views, 5 today